Site for a great home haunt book

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Gavin's Crypt



Well, as I said in a previous post, Gavin (my 9 year old son) is working on the Tomb Cover from How to Haunt Your House Book 2 (by Shawn & Lynne Mitchell). Here's his progress... We should be completely finished by the weekend, I think we'll be finished sooner...
We've measured the panels and he is getting ready to use a jigsaw for the very first time.We did have an ambulance on stand by just in case...

Here he is actually cutting. He did an excellant job. I was very proud of him... in fact, we were able to dismiss the rescue squad that was on stand by.


I drew some lines on the wall panels, and gave him the dremel tool. I told him to trace the lines. I also said they did not have to be perfect... again, surprisingly, no one had to go to the emergency room.


After he dremeled the lines, he took a wire brush to make them a little more "crack-like".

So this is one of the panels ready for painting. I didn't take a pic of it but we primed it with Monster Mud and then sprayed the entire panel black.


 After the black base coat dried, we went outside. I read somewhere about a technique for weathering where you roll a lighter color over the black and then use a hose to "wash away the top layer". this is what we were trying...




Here Gavin is spraying the panel with water. I think he did a great job so far. For me the jury is still out on this technique. I'll make a decision after we've finished. We still have a few more details to add the the panels..

This is the front panel so far....

 

 This is one of the side panels....

This is the other side panel......


We still have the lid to make. Everything is cut out. We just have to glue it all together and detail it before we can paint it. As soon as we are finished I will post the pics....
Happy Haunting All!

1 comment:

  1. Hot damn! It's awesome!!!! Gav is absolutely a natural at this! (And good thing, as those ER bills aren't cheap! :) ) I can't wait to see the finished product, but it looks amazing so far. And you know, I think that technique was rather brilliant...it looks weathered and sinister. Must say, I'm completely dazzled by the raw talent you all exhibit! Happy Haunting, indeed!

    ReplyDelete